Monday, August 3, 2009

God's Hug-Collar vs. God's Electric-Dog-Collar

During a sermon yesterday, my teaching pastor expressed how we often wish God would put an electric collar around our neck, like the kind some people put on their dog in order to control them and keep bystanders safe. When we are tempted to sin, God could simply shock us and get our attention. “No sin. Bad human!”

My pastor's assertion (and mine as well) is that God is not one to work in this way. His love endorses our personhood and individual decision making. He is not going to use the physical pain of an electric-dog-collar to prevent us from committing sin. This would make us robots. However, I do believe there is something that God does do when we are about to sin that is similar to the electric-dog-collar, yet worlds apart in its nature. I believe it is worlds apart because it is the kind of help He offers that appeals to our identity in Christ rather than our performanced-based-old-nature. I think my teaching pastor would also agree. Let me explain.

I find that when I am tempted to sin, there is this part of me that knows I need to share it with someone else in my life that I trust. This part of me (I believe) is God telling me which direction is the way out. In 1 John it says, “7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[b] sin. 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

One part of the way out (i.e. what purifies us from all unrighteousness) is to find a few trusted others with whom I can be transparent and vulnerable when I face temptation. For example, when I feel like going off on my spouse because I’m feeling resentful to them, this is a good time to call a trusted friend and say, “Friend, I’m ready to go off on my spouse right now.” This exposure and vulnerability breaks a lot of the power in the temptation to retaliate in such a situation. Also, a close friend who knows our sin patterns is able to help us see the situation a little more objectively and remind us that we are doing such a great job by trusting God in the situation and living out our true nature in Christ. Then, once we cool down, we can move towards our spouse in a much more healthy way (i.e. from who we really are in Christ), rather than being so reactionary. Of course, there are lots of other examples of sin, but I mention the above as a general example.

When we let a mature, trusted other into our lives in such a way, we are literally letting God into our lives. This is humility. This is the power to break sin. Making ourselves transparent and vulnerable with a mature, trusted other is the electric-dog-collar of another nature that God offers to us when we are tempted to sin. He won’t shock us, so as to force us into not sinning. Rather, He will give us a loving hug-reminder (usually a thought in our head) that we are a phone call or coffee rendezvous away from bringing our temptation into the light with a brother or sister in the faith. This faith-based and freedom-of-choice based hug-and-affirmation-collar is one of the major ways God is working with us to resolve the things (i.e. sin) that prevent us from really enjoying life to its fullest.

And, finally, there is one other amazing benefit to letting others into our lives. It isn’t just about us, this vulnerability stuff. It isn’t just about us feeling better about ourselves, although this is huge. When I make myself vulnerable to someone I can trust, I do two things that are others-centered and a huge blessing to them. First, I’m giving the person I’m being vulnerable with permission to act on behalf of the God of the universe (1 Peter 4:11). This is a huge way to actually give to the person we are asking help from. This might sound counter-intuitive, but by asking for their help, we are actually giving to them. In this way, it isn’t just for me, but for them. This is awesome. Second, I’m giving to the person I’m tempted to sin against. I’m not just calling a friend of mine to help me stop from going off on my spouse so that I don’t have to reap the consequences for such an action. I’m making myself vulnerable so that I can go back to my spouse in a loving way even though there is conflict that needs to be resolved and relationship that needs to be restored. This is also others-centered and also awesome.

Therefore, exposing ourselves to the light and being vulnerable as discussed in 1 John is not just about making my life more satisfying, but it is about giving to others as well. In fact, we might say that in giving to others that this is what makes our lives more satisfying in the first place.
_____________________________________
A reminder: For those who place their faith in Christ, we must remember that no matter how we perform, God's love and approval of us is constant and a never-changing 100%. There are a bizzillion amount of times that we will fail to live in the light according to 1 John, chapter 1. The point in following the wisdom of 1 John, chapter 1 isn't to gain God's approval, rather it is to mature and enjoy the lives God has given us and those around us. Also, because Christ lived in the light with the Father 100% of the time, then when I live in the light as well, I'm living out of who God says I am, "Christ-in-so-in-so". This identification is a huge joy.

No comments: