Friday, October 7, 2011

The Women of the Earth Cry Out

When I was young, I danced for everyone
Wearing a princess dress and a crown
A smile stole the attention of all
I knew I was on the stage and pretty

The early and middle years were a mess
I can't quite make out what happened
Something was taken from me by men
And taught to me by women

If you could see inside our hearts
You'd know this is true for all of us
See, you men think we act from our true selves
But this isn't who we truly are as women

The culture tells us many myths like
They're just men being men
The way they undress us with unhandsome eyes
Yes, we know what you are doing

But If I could go back
If I could go back to before those middle years
I'd tell you what my true self wants to say to you
I'd tell you no

You don't have permission to look at me that way
You have assaulted me
And the women of the earth cry out
Your action demands full penalty

We have said no
And this is your connection to the rapist.
On the last day, I will be holding my Father's hand
I will tell you no, and you will turn into flowers or into dust
__________________________________________________
*In the next to last line, by "Father" I mean God