Saturday, September 15, 2012

One Car


In college, I went to an event in our dorm on creative dating.  The man who presented had written a book about he and his wife and their creative dating practices.  I can’t remember his name or the book he wrote, but I do remember one thing.  He said, “My wife and I drive one car.  On purpose.  Our driving times together are times that we get to talk without interruption.  A lot of good, quality time happens during those drives.”

Now, I’m not saying that you need to drop down to one car, if you have two.  And, you might even need two cars, depending on your situation.  However, even if you have two cars, my question is – how often do you drive each other to work?  Or, if that isn't a possibility, how often do you drive together to different functions, errands, and different events when it would be easier to use two cars?

My wife and I currently have one car.  I don’t want to judge anyone for how they run their lives logistically.  However, if we might buy another car in the future, my hope is that we intentionally drive each other to different places reasonably often, even if we get a second car.  We’ll see what happens when the rubber meets the road.  

Comment Question: What are some things that you and your spouse do to increase the amount of uninterrupted quality time?

No comments: