Thursday, September 6, 2012

Learn Everything You Can From Them

Learn everything you can from your spouse.

There.  I said it.

This is a source of conflict for many couples.  The reason is that once we get to know our spouses, we begin to see all of their flaws and that makes it difficult to learn from them.  However, opening up ourselves to learn from our partner is actually a very difficult, but very rewarding way we can extend grace to them. 

If I open myself up to learning from my partner, then I am telling them, "I know all of the flaws, all of the sin, and all of the dysfunction between you and me.  Nevertheless, I'm going to try to find all the things I can to learn from you because you have value and you have things I can learn."

When a husband opens himself up to learning from his wife, then she feels that he's inviting her involvement and she feels loved.  When a wife opens herself up to learning from her husband, then he feels respected, endorsed, and maybe even admired.

Oh, and one more thing.  When you learn something from them - tell them about it.  In the moment you tell them what you've learned from them, it is like the power of God has run through you and spoken to them.  It is truly amazing.  It is grace running through us into them and it becomes addictive - a joy.



No comments: