Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Imperfection. Get some.

The fact that I can't finish everything, be everywhere, or say every word correctly to each friend and enemy is not only okay - it is something that can be turned into an outward form of love.

What I mean is that one thing I've experienced lately in my relationships is that if I embrace or value my imperfection, then I truly hold more concern for the person in front of me than when I strive to act perfectly towards them. On the other hand, if I value perfection, then I hold more concern for hiding my shame or feelings of inadequacy from my own heart or from the person in front of me. Thus, I actually care less about humanity by striving to be perfect. My focus is less on the person and more on hiding my shame.

Of course, we all have a mixture of motivations, but I think the God-given part of us desires to value our imperfection as a way to love those around us. We just have to ask God to help us find that desire which He has already put into us. So, what I see is that valuing or even treasuring my imperfection is a form of outward love. I also believe that the more we value our own imperfection, the more it helps us to connect with the imperfection of others in a more healthy way.

No comments: