Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Simplicity of Communion

I really like taking communion. It isn't the ritual involved. I understand the good feelings that come from the rhythm of rituals. Nothing wrong with that. But what I really keep getting blown away by is this whole thing about the God of the universe fighting and dying for me. When I look at that piece of bread or that wine, I declare to God that I believe He really has forgiven and accepted me simply because He has decided that He wants to forgive and accept me. I do this despite any thoughts of self-condemnation I might be suffering that moment. The way I think about myself and the way that God thinks about me are two different things. When I tell Him that I believe in His acceptance despite any self-condemnation, this is the greatest tribute I can ever make to Him.

No comments: