Sunday, November 1, 2009

God has Bragging Rights on You

God has bragging rights on you. It's like He's got you in a room with a whole bunch of His favorite people and says, "Guys, this is who I was talking about!" Then He stands you up in front of everyone else and says, "Do you remember all the stories I was sharing last week about one of my favorites? This is who I was talking about!"

Then he tells them your name. You've never heard someone say your name in such a way before. Romantic. You almost feel like He's whispering your name to you alone, yet the whole room is present.

Then He goes further. He begins to tell your story. The story is about you and Him. It's all about courage and strength and tenderness and repentance in the midst of an evil and broken world that you had even participated in. You still can't believe He's telling these stories of honor about you and yet it seems so right, as though it were always meant to be. His voice is safe, fearless, and trustworthy. Somehow, God's telling of the story turns it into something you had never known before.

This is what God has to say about the matter:

"11Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus* is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters. 12He says,
"I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters;
in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises."
13And again,
"I will put my trust in him."
And again he says,
"Here am I, and the children God has given me."

~Hebrews 2:11-13
__________________________________________
*According to Christian theology, Jesus is God. Therefore, these words that are spoken by him are spoken by God. They are interchangeable.

5 comments:

drea said...

He is so good...

Lisa said...

Beautiful Steven. Thank you. Just what I needed to read today. My verse for the next 2 weeks is: The LORD does not look at the things that man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.
—1 Samuel 16:7 He looks at that an still he knows me by name, sings over me, declares me, loves me. How amazing is that?

Unknown said...

Thanks Lisa and Drea for your comments!

Pam said...

Your post reminds me of that David Crowder song, How He Loves. It makes me be in awe of Him every time I hear it.

Unknown said...

Thanks Pam! Yes, I really love the chorus in that song you are talking about. Blessings!