Sunday, October 4, 2009

On Being Included

I was an average athelete in grade school. Kickball. Flag Football. Field Hockey. Softball. Basketball. I rarely got picked last for anything, but every once in a while it was close. I might be next-to-last.

Then there were those times when a special type of older classmate would come along. Let's say I'm in the fourth grade and a sixth grader is one of the team captains for basketball. He might say on the second or third pick, "I'll take Steven. He's good. He'll guard so-in-so." He was one of these older kids that somehow knew how to affirm me as a younger guy without even knowing it. Made me feel good about myself. I wanted to say, "Are you sure? Are you talking about me?" Those comments never came out of my mouth because I felt too good about getting picked in a higher order and even better about my team captain having some good words to say about the matter.

Jesus is like one of these older kids on the field that somehow knew how to make the younger guys feel included. Back in the day, Jesus walked up to some pretty uneducated, unrespected men like Peter, John, and Matthew. He said, "I'll take you. You're just right for my team. You'll play this position. You'll do great. You're just the sort of teammate I'm looking for." They might've looked over their shoulders at first to see if He was talking to someone else. Is He talking to me? They might have thought to themselves.

We all want to be included. Jesus is the Great Includer. He's got a jersey for you. It's for His team.

Ephesians 1:13

2 comments:

Emma Leigh said...

Are the comments new? I like comments. Though I rarely comment I like when there is the option.
Emma

Unknown said...

Yes. The comments are new. I'm glad you like the option!