Monday, January 19, 2009

Addressing Legalism (Part IV): My Own Demonizing

When I see someone do a good thing, my first thought (unfortunately) is to evaluate the source. Who are they? Where do they come from? What is their belief system?

If the person is my political opposite, then a flavor of resentment tries to stir up in my soul. I have this small, twisted belief that if someone, who opposes me in a particular worldview, could do something noble, courageous, compassionate, or graceful then maybe my worldview might be wrong. Many of us have felt this twisted flavor of resentment to one degree or another. The more obsessive the person, the stronger the resentment. Rush Limbough or Hillary Clinton could save millions of children from starvation, but the other side of the camp would feel uneasy about it. They’re tax collectors, sinners, prostitutes, Samaritans, or Gentiles. They can’t possibly do something good in God’s eyes.

As followers of Christ, we should never worry about this.   Although our default is to reject God, we are also very capable of doing noble and compassionate things. The human person is sacred. Even those who blow God off are capable of such great deeds because they are made in the image of God (Keller). When someone who is politically, religiously, or socially opposite from us does something wonderful, we should commend it as wonderful. It is in God’s eyes.

No comments: