Friday, July 25, 2008

Grammar and Talking About Jesus

I read an interesting blog from another website quoting some guy named Todd Wilken. I have no idea who he is. However, he mentioned something quite interesting I would like to share:

“The central message of the Bible is Jesus Christ crucified and risen for sinners. If a sermon is really Bible-based, it will preach that Gospel. Often, the difference between good preaching and bad preaching is not in what is said, but in what is left unsaid. More often, what is left unsaid is the Gospel itself.

Sometimes, a ‘Life-Application’ sermon does talk about Jesus. But since the goal of this kind of sermon is to teach people how to live, Jesus is presented as your teacher, your example, and your helper. The death and resurrection of Jesus might also be mentioned—as an example for you to follow of selfless love and self-sacrifice. Dr. David Wells says, ‘The Cross becomes exactly what it was in liberalism, that Jesus is reduced simply to a good example and we try to follow in His footsteps in the sense that we try to look out on life the way He did.’ In the ‘Life-Application’ sermon, Jesus becomes just another paradigm for you to live by.

If Jesus is mentioned, is He the subject of the verbs? This is simple grammar. Every sentence has a subject and a verb. So, listen to the sermon and do the grammar. Dr. Norman Nagel is famous for asking, ‘Who is driving the verbs?’ Is Jesus active or passive? Is Jesus doing the action or is He being acted upon? There is a difference between a sermon that says ‘I love Jesus,’ and a sermon that says ‘Jesus loves me.’ One is talking about you, the other is talking about Jesus. There is a difference between, ‘Give your life to Jesus,’ and ‘Jesus gave His life for you.’”

This excerpt is from a blog by someone named Daniel Cruver, written on 3/31/06 which I copied and pasted into this blog on 7/25/08. His blog is www.eucatastrophe.com I have not reviewed anything else by this man and neither support nor oppose him, since I know nothing about him or his other writings. (I only know he likes John Piper and Tim Keller, who are authors I also like). Since, I am quoting this from another blog, I think it is right to cite him.

I wholeheartedly agree with this argument which says that the gospel should be centered on Jesus’ actions towards us and not the other way around. I am not saying that we shouldn't love Jesus; but, His love and respect for me is the power that drives my love and respect for Him and others in the first place. This is the Gospel.

So, next time, check out the grammar. Is Jesus the subject driving your changing heart or are you trying to change your own heart in order to love and respect Him? You have to make a decision.

No comments: