Thursday, July 10, 2008

Baby Steps

Sometimes, I beat myself up for not progressing spiritually as quickly as I'd like. I ask questions like, "When will I finally get my act together?" But, can you imagine God looking at a child who is learning to crawl and saying something like, "You're so stupid. Just pick up your hands and feet, move them forward, and you'll be crawling. Isn't that simple enough? Why can't you figure it out?"

Learning to trust God is like learning to crawl or take baby steps. Once God sees that we're making attempts to trust Him (instead of trying to get our act together) He's all smiles. I think it must be like parents watching their little ones as they rock back and forth, hold onto the coffee table, and venture out to walk.

God's holding His hands out, waiting for us to trust Him and take some steps. Fortunately, He's not a human being. He has infinite patience. "When you're ready child, take your first steps. I've got My hands out for you. You'll have to let go of the coffee table, but I know you can do it."

The reality is that if I choose to let go of the coffee table and move out to Him, then I will fall like a million times. Many of us have spent years holding onto the coffee table, trying to manage our thoughts, feelings, actions, circumstances, and even trying to manipulate those of others. God loves us so much (past, present, and future) that even if we are 75 years old when we finally let go of the coffee table and trust Him to walk, He's smiling at our attempt to take those few steps towards Him.

Do you want to manage your life and walk around the coffee table for the next 75 years, or take a chance and step out towards Him? You'll fall down a lot, but you'll find there's a whole lot in the house you haven't explored yet.

No comments: