Monday, December 19, 2011

The Little Drummer Boy

This is my favorite Christmas song. I think the lyrics are so elegant because they are so simple and yet so profound. This powerful yet tender king desires us and the gifts we bring out of our personhood. The moment we believe that what we bring to the table out of who we are isn't enough is the moment we fail to understand the type of desire God already has for us. Just bring your drum. It is enough.

The lyrics:

Come they told me

A new born King to see

Our finest gifts we bring

To lay before the King
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum

So to honor Him,
pa rum pum pum pum, 

When we come. 



Little Baby

I am a poor boy too

I have no gift to bring

That's fit to give the King
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, 



Shall I play for you
pa rum pum pum pum

On my drum? 



Mary nodded

The ox and lamb kept time

I played my drum for Him

I played my best for Him

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum



Then He smiled at me
pa rum pum pum pum 

Me and my drum.

No comments: