Monday, May 5, 2008

Singing Us to Sleep

When overseas in 2004, my co-workers and I became good friends with a married couple. We had just left a war-torn country, moved to a neighboring country, and stayed with these friends for three weeks. We were struggling with lots of emotional turmoil and trying to sort out our next steps. During those three weeks, I slept on the couch in their living room. I remember very clearly that one evening, my friend (the husband) played his guitar and sang me to sleep. I'm serious. He sang me to sleep with some sort of soothing melody. When I think back to that evening, it gives me a good visual image of the tenderness of God. Jesus lamented one time, "Oh, Jerusalem... how often I have longed to gather your children together... as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings." God wants us to know that we are safe and sound, under the protection of His wings. If we let Him, He has no greater desire than to sing us to sleep.

No comments: